With this episode (04-Loops), the screencasts so far have covered a bit of visual script programming with morphic and the main part of Smalltalk syntax. The only parts missing are the class and message creation which we will see in the next screencasts. Just a quick summary until RSS for those screencasts are not ready:
- 00-Morphic (Portuguese and English version): 15 minutes
Teaches how to create a simple game using the Morphic environment and its scripting language. Not a single line of Smalltalk code written to have a small racing game.
- 01-Transcript (Portuguese and English version): 5 minutes
Presents the Transcript and Workspace tools in Squeak and shows the three main messages to manipulate the Transcript (clear, show: and cr). Shows variable and string declaration and concatenation.
- 02-Conditionals (Portuguese and English version): 5 minutes
Working on the previous code, transforms what was done into a conditional that prints the parity of a number correctly based on conditions.
- 03-Blocks (Portuguese and English version): 7 minutes
Using the code that prints parity, refactors it to use blocks returns, attribute blocks to variables, discuss its scope and shows parametrized blocks.
- 04-Loops (Portuguese and English version): 7 minutes
Using the parametrized blocks from episode 03, teaches how to create 3 styles of loops like 'for', 'while' and 'do while'.