Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Archimedes 0.54 defined

Ok, this week I worked with the Archimedes' undergraduated and graduated students team to define what will be their goal for the 15th may 2008. It will be three weeks of work for them, which is the equivalent of 21h per pair (3 pairs total). And their goal for it is to get most intersections back working. This means that the version released the 16th or 17th should have the features 0.52 has plus the whole snap intersection system running.
If I manage to get time, I hope to release an unstable (really unstable) version 0.53.0 during FISL and keep it being updated weekly. My work for the team will be to provide support to each pair and coordinate the work. I hope I manage to get some coding going but I am not sure I will be able to.

Last news is that we found a couple open source Java DXF library that should help us provide import and export support for DXF in Archimedes. Don't expect it ready so soon but I hope we manage to release a version with DXF support by July (or August since July will be my big holidays in Europe).

Finally, to answer a couple critics I have been hearing a lot: I wish I could have a centralized website where I could both keep the code repository, the website, the developers center and the blog. But, so far, nothing fits my needs so I am planning to create it myself (and if possible, make it my masters). That's all for now.

See you!

4 comments:

Luciano said...

Hello. I start following Archimedes CAD for several month and i encourage you to keep on track with it, because in my opinion archimedes have a bright future in CAD field.
You should consider include in archimedes some features like:
Open Dwg Support
Blocks support
Model/Paper Space for better printing
Spanish support (I can help you with this)
Thanks for your work.
best regards
Luciano

Anonymous said...

Hello. I also think that archimedes has a brigth future. For me enssential are truss, and hatch features. Also better support for more fonts (if possible true type). I can help with polish tarnslation.

Hugo Corbucci said...

Hello,
Would you mind posting a feature request for truss at Sourforge (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=143642&atid=756095)? I need a description of what the command is supposed to do and how it should work. It would also help me send you the files needed for a translation in polish.

Thank you.

Luciano said...

Hello. I start following Archimedes CAD for several month and i encourage you to keep on track with it, because in my opinion archimedes have a bright future in CAD field.
You should consider include in archimedes some features like:
Open Dwg Support
Blocks support
Model/Paper Space for better printing
Spanish support (I can help you with this)
Thanks for your work.
best regards
Luciano