Sunday, October 19, 2008

First day at OOPSLA

Hello,
I am currently attending OOPSLA 2008 at Nashville, Tennessee in the USA. This is the second year that I am a student volunteer at OOPSLA. This year, there are much fewer attendees and, as far as we know, it is the financial crisys' fault.
So far, it has just started. Registration went pretty well this morning and tutorials are going OK so far. No big deal and we are yet waiting for the special talks. I would highlight Dick Gabriel's photography course that will be going on during the whole conference. Tomorrow we'll have Alistair Cockburn talking about Crystal in the morning and effective agile use cases in the afternoon. I will surely attend to the first one. I might join the second one although I might go to the Design Pattern: Next Generation's workshop by Brian Foote, Dirk Riehle and Joshua Kerievsky. I was slightly disapointed by this year's program.

Two news that were supposed to be secret but are not. The first one is that next year's OOPSLA will be held at Orlando, Floripa at some hotel inside Disney World. This means I probably won't attend it because hotels will be pretty expensive and flights will be overbooked way ahead so I don't think I'll make it. The second "secret" is that the special event will be held at the Parthenon replica in Nashville. I'll try to have Mariana's photos to post them here when we can.

That's it for now. For those of you who still want Archimedes news, please wait another week or two until I manage to get my time schedule back to regular shift. See you all.

No comments: